Josh is deeply familiar with most aspects of front end technology, but here are a few highlights:
- React — 6 years experience
- TypeScript — 8 years experience
- Webpack — 8 years experience
- Responsive Web Design — 12 years experience
Some other technologies Josh has noteworthy experience in:
- Go - 1 year of experience
- Docker - 4 years experience
- Node.js - 8 years experience
Collaboration & Communication
- Excellent written communication skills
- A design background that helps discuss tradeoffs of various approaches with designers
- Mentorship and technical training
- Familiar with the theory and practice of agile and lean software development
Experience & Education
Microsoft - Senior Software Engineer
January 2021 - May 2023
- Led revamp of front-end tooling for Azure IoT Central, resulting in greater developer productivity and reduced defect rates
- Stewarded end-to-end browser test framework used both as a release gate and for continuous testing in production
- Provided on-going mentorship to less-experienced engineers and education to UX engineers generally
Hobsons — Lead Software Engineer
November 2011 – July 2020
- Served as Lead on both product teams and UI Architecture team.
- Experience developing and maintaining large scale single-page applications and SaaS products
- Six years experience working completely remote
- Created living style guides and led UI design/technology migration efforts in large legacy systems.
- Led accessibility efforts culminating in 100% WCAG AA compliance on a very large React codebase.
- Responsible for training developers on front-end technologies and methodologies.
- Led UI development on highly interactive online curriculum product.
Design Pepper — Owner & Web Developer
2007 – 2011
Freelance web design and development for small businesses.
Rogers State University
B.S. in Business Information Technology
ahkpm: The package manager for AutoHotKey, a Windows automation toolkit and language. ahkpm itself is written in Go.
Prose for Programmers: A work in progress, this Creative Commons book is aimed at teaching developers how to write clearly and effectively.
Underscore Contrib: An official companion project to the popular Underscore library. As a core contributor to the library, Josh expanded on its functionality and wrote much of its documentation.
What Other People Say
Josh is an incredible engineering collaborator on complex UX/UI focused applications. He systematically breaks down designs into modular, reusable React components. This has allowed our teams to move from single use patterns to a modern design system.
Additionally, Josh mentors other engineers so that they can leverage the full capabilities of modern UI stacks. He also has a human-centered mentality that makes design and business pivots easy to navigate.
Phone: +1 (603) 730-2609
Address: 32 Ridge View Drive, Albany, NH 03818, USA